Sunday, March 3, 2019

Tuna Stuffed Tomatoes

I'll admit, tuna is not one of my favorite foods. This is probably a result of having eaten so much of it earlier in my life. My parents made tuna noodle casserole at least once a week when I was growing up, and my daughter never ceases to remind me of the volume of tuna we ate when we she was young and we were struggling financially. But, since starting Noom, I wanted to make a conscious effort to include more fatty fish and Omega 3's in my diet so I thought I'd give it another try.

I've discovered that the Fage 0% Greek Yogurt does quite well in making various salads like chicken salad and egg salad and tuna salad. It has a much lighter taste than mayonnaise, but when relish and mustard and seasonings are added, it makes a quite delicious substitute for many less calories. While I'm still not a big fan of tuna, I had to admit that this dish made a very colorful alternative to my usuals.

Tuna Stuffed Tomatoes: 294 calories for 2 medium tomatoes, stuffed


2 packets of Starkist Albacore White Tuna, 161 calories
2 Tbl sweet relish 39 calories
1/4 cup Fage 0% Greek Yogurt 33 calories
2 medium tomatoes, hollowed out. Reserve insides for soup or chili, 52 calories
1 chopped green onion for the top, 5 calories

Mix tuna, relish, yogurt, and whatever seasonings you like. I'm a big fan of Jane's Crazy Mixed-Up Salt so that's what I used. Set aside. Cut the top off of the tomatoes. Scoop out the insides using a grapefruit spoon. Salt the inside of the shell. Stuff with tuna and sprinkle green onion on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be visible after moderator approval.