Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Rice: A Random Tip

My excuse for not following a healthy eating plan while we lived on our boat was the difficulty in cooking separate meals for me and my husband. My husband is skinny and can eat pretty much anything he wants without gaining weight, and he detests all cooked vegetables, whole grains, etc. I, on the other hand, love cooked vegetables and all things whole grain.

It turns out, after following Noom's psychology lessons about why I overeat and choose the wrong foods and portions, that it was just that—an excuse. There is always a way to accomplish something if you want it bad enough.

So since we've returned to land and I have ton of time to do this, I've found that just some small preparation steps help to secure my success. One of these is pre-cooking rice. I like brown rice, and it's certainly better for you than white rice, but my husband only likes white. So every once in a while I cook up two pots, one brown, one white, and I measure out 1/2 cup servings of each onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Then I flash freeze it and dump them into a Ziploc. When we have rice with dinner, I just pop one in the microwave for a couple minutes on medium heat, and it's done. If I had to wait the 20-30 minutes for rice to cook, I'd be reaching for other, less healthy, alternatives. Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be visible after moderator approval.