Saturday, December 8, 2012

Crisp Cornmeal Waffles

It was one of those mornings that call for something warm wafting from the galley. I was standing at the galley porthole that sits over the stove, waiting for my coffee to drip into my cup. (Because I drink decaf and my husband drinks regular, we use a single cup drip coffee maker most of the time.) It was cool and foggy outside the porthole, warm and pleasant inside the boat. I decided we hadn't had waffles in awhile and dug out my cornmeal waffle recipe. These are wonderfully hearty, crisp waffles with a fabulous aroma. They mix in one bowl, keep well and reheat well, and are a good afternoon snack just cold. I use a stove-top cast iron waffle iron that works well on a boat stove but they can be made in an electric iron as well. If you're using a cast iron model in a boat, you have to remember to grease both the inside and the outside before you store the iron to prevent rusting. I usually grease a paper towel and sandwich it between the iron halves and put the whole greasy mess in a ziploc bag. Just wipe the outside before putting it on the burner so the grease doesn't catch fire.Waffle irons vary wildly in cooking time so you have to learn your own waffle iron's requirements.

Ingredients:

1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 Tbl baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 cups milk
3 Tbl vegetable oil
2 large eggs

Directions:

Put the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Whisk together. Add the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth. Preheat waffle iron and grease liberally. Use a 1/4 cup of batter for a small iron, 1/3 to 1/2 for a large one. If using a stove-top iron, put the batter in the iron, close, and immediately flip over. Check for doneness in 2 minutes and flip. Cook till golden brown. Serve them with butter and maple syrup.


2 comments:

  1. Fantastic,
    Been looking for a cast iron waffle maker for our yacht for some time. I am just concerned about the weight? How heavy is it?
    Keeping it on board at all times will it rust?

    Thanks,
    Terje

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terje,

    Sorry I totally missed your comment so please forgive the delay in responding. This cast iron waffle maker is just a few pounds because it's not very large. It makes about a 6" waffle. It will rust if you don't care for it properly. I grease it both inside and out after washing, grease a paper towel which I sandwich in between the 2 pieces and then I store the whole thing in a ziploc. It's done well for us this way for some time. It makes fabulous waffles. I've heard you can also get them in aluminum which would not rust, but we're trying to omit aluminum cookware from our stash due to the connection to Altzheimer's and other dementia illnesses.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be visible after moderator approval.